Thursday, May 19, 2011

Read The Fair, Go To The Fair

Before I left for my trip, my friends Laura and John lent me three books to read. One of which I started and read about half on the plane - Seven Days In the Art World. This book is so great! I am not offended by the fact that this writing could be accused of demystifying certain aspects of the art world. I don't care. I look at it as a way to compare what I've personally experienced in the art world from the aspect of being a student, an emerging artist, working with galleries, etc. It's fun. There were definitely moments when I actually laughed out loud because what I read was just that funny (The Crit) or painful (The Prize).

I had just finished reading the chapter "The Fair" and wouldn't you know it, last night we were given tickets to attend ArteBA 2011, Argentina's major art fair of Latin American Art. I've only been to a couple of art fairs and really enjoy them. I really dig seeing what contemporary artists are doing especially ones from other countries. It was quite the to do! I've never seen so many stilettos in one location, my feet felt frumpy! However, I had the foresight to wear my bright red, Anthropologie jacket, so I was not too de-classe. The fair was what I expected, a maze of booths as far as the eye can see. Our group made a plan to meet in 2 hours at the entrance and we all splintered off. Not more than 20 steps in, I was ushered to the side because camera men and reports were following some one clearly very important. I felt like such an American. I thought it was a celebrity. Turned out it was the mayor. As I wondered around, I couldn't help to think about how things really weren't all that different from the states. All the types of art were represented with varying degrees of strength. I think a challenge artists have today is that you can do what you do and you will always be compared to or remided of someone else's work. Originality is tricky because everything, in my opinion, has been done. I managed to talk to a few vendors. I guess my accent is getting better because most people I attempt to communicate with think I can speak Spanish because I am getting really good at saying the same phrases. One vendor gave me his last catalog of an artist I liked. His work reminded me of Amy Cutler (see? Comparing...). It was very kind and they were vary patient. I went to another book and saw an ArteBA catalog lying on a table. I picked it up and started looking through it. Immediately it was snatched from my hands by someone who clearly worked there. No stress. I understood. It's an expensive catalog and you have to buy it.
From then on, I kept my eye open for stray, unattended catalogs. I had fun. I got a glass of champagne, meandered until I was worn out and then sat and people watched. Oh, the people watching! I love these types of events. You cannot beat an artsy crowd. I might have to invest in some stilettos before I return.

No comments:

Post a Comment