Tuesday, May 31, 2011

And It All Comes Together

Finally, installation day! It never ceases to amaze me how a work is transformed as soon as you hang it on a wall or place it properly in a space. The workers that Alicia hires for installing were mad fast. In twenty minutes, my work was suspended over the stairwell. We lost a few beads on the way, but that was expected. Seeing we got this thing put together in under 2 1/2 weeks, a few missing beads is nothing. I LOVE THE WAY IT CAME OUT!! I've learned a lot working like this. Adriana and Valeria were wonderful assistants. I'm still not really attracted to having a team of people help me make my work, but it was definitely helpful. The punching bag heads look believable and as busy as the patterning is, it works. I wanted to have a kind of art deco design that abstractly formed a penis, but all that occurred were just the oval shapes. As Leslie put it, the penis is implied. I have extra prints of the bodies from tests, so I may recreate this piece in a second version. This first one has given me some ideas as to how I can improve upon it.

Today was kind of surreal because I didn't really do anything. I just uploaded pictures from my camera to my laptop, walked to the bank to get some pesos, had a great lunch of 2 kinds of vegetable pizza, drank coffee and surfed the net. Oh, how I suffer! I pretty much stayed out of the way while the employees did their thing preparing the studio for tomorrow's opening. I have to start getting my things packed, so I'm taking some supplies back to the apartment in small trips. I donated my glue to the studio. I gave the canvas that was left over to Adriana to use for her work. I left a cup full of beads for Patricia because she really liked them.

I am going to make one more print before I travel back to the states. It's about waking dogs. I'm a bit obsessed with the dog situation here. If Buenos Aires had a mascot, it would be a small, fluffy, white dog. They are everywhere! Occasionally, you'll see larger dogs, but most of them are small with big hair, curly hair or a curly tail. Even more intriguing are the dog walkers. You'll see some guy walking 20 dogs around. I'm impressed that the dogs are totally with the program and walk rather nicely as if they are a unit. Usually the dog walker has a bunch of small dogs and then one or two big dogs. And let me tell you, the dog walker is making bank. I asked Alvaro about. He said that a walker usually gets paid on average 800 pesos per dog a week. That really adds up! I joked that I should move here and just start walking dogs. Alvaro replied that it's not that easy. Dog walking is ran like the mafia. You have to be in the know in order to get the dogs. If you were to just show up with dogs that you were waling, someone will interrogate you (who are you, where are you from, how did you get those dogs) because you aren't familiar. You could get into a lot of trouble. So, I want to do a simple print of me walking a pack of little, fluffy, white dogs and title the print "Donda conseguis tes esos perros (Where did you get those dogs?" If I can't get it done here, I'll do it when I get home.

No comments:

Post a Comment