Sunday, May 22, 2011

Eye of the Tiger

This is a perfect day to do nothing but write, read or draw. It's rainy with a cool humidity. I've been thinking about my project so much that I have had a bit of anxiety. It's more about the time I have remaining to get it finished which is a week from Monday. We're loosing a day this week due to a national holiday. That's one less day to work. Ugh! Anyway, I need to buck up and practice what I tell my students. So what if I don't sew and my project involves sewing? I need to channel Tim Gun and make it work!

My flatmate Christina and I ventured out last night for her project. What she's working on involves her romancing the city of Buenos Aires by offering romantic meals she cooked. She's been going around the city setting up plates of food on a table in various locations. She asked me if I would assist her in some night time shooting. It's really not safe to be out by yourself especially if you're an attractive woman, so I was happy to tag along. We wound up outside the main concert hall where the symphony performs free concerts. It was fun being her assistant and watching another artist at work, observing their process. It was a really nice night. There were lots of people out walking, biking, jogging, walking their dogs....I'm a bit obsessed with the dog situation here, but I'll write about that later. We ran across the street and took photos in a park that had some skateboarders flying down the hill coming to abrupt stops with a long, loud skaaareeeeeeeeeeetch.

When we were ready to call it a night, we flagged down a cab driver. I must admit, that is one thing I rather enjoy doing despite the stereotype of how cab drivers won't pick up black people. Whenever I'm in a big city, I LOVE stepping out onto the side of the street with my hand held up. Some go by, but eventually you get picked up. Maybe my romantic life would pick up if I held my hand up more.....Anyway, we got a cab and this guy was AMAZING! I have never been driven anywhere so fast in my life. We were going so fast it felt like the car wasn't even touching the street. Earlier in the week, I witnessed an collision at an intersection a few blocks from where I am staying. An ambulance smashed into a car that was trying to cross. The driving around here is pretty freaky because although there are street lights, they seem more a suggestion and not necessarily mandatory.
People drive like it's the Wild West and everyone is for themselves automotively speaking. Driving in Buenos Aires makes driving in New York look like afternoon bike ride. So, ever since, I get really nervous when in a cab or car because the intersections are largely blind and you just have to go for it. Our Indi 500 driver was in his 60's and he was not messing around. He was blasting songs from the 80's on the radio. Christina thought he was on drugs. Seeing that he started to make a left-hand turn on a red light 6 feet out from the intersection, I understand her logic. Where she was wanting out, I wanted this guy to drive me everywhere. If you were a contestant on Amazing Race and had to come here to complete a task, you would want this guy driving you around because you would definitely come in first. As we weaved between other cars, Eye of the Tiger started playing on the radio. It was a great fit as we flew through the night, going for "it".

We made it home safely. We also got to see a whole new awesome area that is only a couple of blocks away from us. Definitely have some exploring to do there.

1 comment: