Thursday, June 16, 2011

Why Worry About Getting Your Work In A Biennial When You Can Create Your Own Biennial?

Is it me or is there A LOT of gripping about the contemporary art world lately? I mean, more than usual. It seems like I am reading more and more articles about how unethical it as become, how artists are mistreated and how art isn't valued for it's content, but on it's commerce. I'll devote my musings to this topic another time. This morning, I want to share what I just watched.

I enjoyed a pretty brilliant and hilarious presentation given by artist Shea Hembrey. Heard of him? Me, neither. He gave a Tedx Talk about his project. That being how he created his own art biennial. He talked about how he grew up in a place least likely to be considered artistic (rural Arkansas) and yet more artically sophisticated than one would expect. Because he has read a lot about art and has seen plenty of art, he decided to start his own art biennial. He didn't stop just there, though. After thinking about criteria for selecting artists while keeping in mind that his biennial is an international one, he went one step further. He decided to create the artists who would participate in his biennial. He created 100 fictional artists, their bios, their statements and the work they create. For real, he made all the artwork and documented it accordingly. The result is pretty hilarious and believable.

Shea Hembrey - How I Became 100 Artists
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpROaNue9GM

No comments:

Post a Comment