Monday, June 13, 2011

Check List

Today, I'm going to pick up where I left off. I want to talk about the idea of an artist check list. Although there are no real, iron-clad steps to take in order to become that internationally celebrated artist, there are some basic things that, in my opinion, you do need to accomplish. If I were to suggest a sort of check list for becoming an successful artist it would probably look something like this:

1. Define Success

What does success mean to you? Does it mean selling your work? Exhibiting in art fairs? Having your work be part of significant art collections? You can't be successful if you can't define it for yourself.

2. At Least Get A BFA

I don't care what anyone says, having studied formally can only help you. Where to get your BFA is the subject for a later post, but for now we'll just leave it at getting the BFA. Some may argue that it's not that big a deal. Who cares? Well, look at any artist's resume that is having a show in a gallery or museum. You'll see those three little letters. Why? Because it matters.

3. Make Your Work Regardless

If you continue to make your work through the good and bad times, you've doing the right thing.

4. See What's Out There

You need to take time and look at the art being made today whether in your community or globally. Again, it can only help you in your own endeavors.


It's not a long list, but I think that covers what I'd suggest. Notice how I didn't put something like 'Make Good Work'. That's because defining good work in art shifts like sand in the desert depending on who you are talking to. Which explains why some great work goes unnoticed and some inferior work gets all sorts of praise.

No comments:

Post a Comment