Sunday, June 26, 2011

I've Found My Twin

As much as I'd like to think that I'm a true original, I believe this morning I have found my doppelganger. I watched a video spot featuring Micklene Thomas via the website Life and Times Soul Kitchen. I was once told that my work was very similar to hers. Subject-wise, nothing could be truer. As her rep from Lehman Maupin Gallery talked about Thomas' work, I really felt you could just insert my name and still be describing the work. It's interesting for me because she's dealing with the same type of subject - but what struck me more was how she even looks a lot like me - tall, short hair, big....crazy! I remember seeing her work for the first time in a display window of the MOMA. Her blinged-out canvases are pretty awesome and it gives off a feeling that she really enjoys constructing them. It would be great to meet her, but I'm afraid that if we were to be in the same room at the same time, we'll cancel each other out and explode.

Mickalene Thomas
http://lifeandtimes.com/soul-kitchen

No comments:

Post a Comment