Sunday, April 24, 2011

Sunday Morning Art Stalking

I am horribly routine.  I get up, drink my coffee, listen to music and surf the internet.  It's truly the best time for me to look at art and sort out what's on my mind. 

I just picked up New American Paintings MFA edition.  It's always exciting to see what new graduate students are producing.  As is the nature of looking at art, you find things you like and things you don't.  I was really entertained by Chris Reno's artist statement, but I think I'm prone to like that kind of statement - funny, informal and witty.  Perhaps it's a little forced in the 'hey, I'm not writing an academic statement', but that's cool.  I should just get a subscription to NAP.  I don't do subscriptions to art publications because most of the time they aren't worth it to me.  The leading art magazines have more advertisements than art reviews it seems.  I just wait until the year end editions to come out. I had one to Art On Paper.  I miss them dearly. 

On line, I like to see what my friends are doing or go to different gallery sites that I like.  I had a really great experience being at the University of Iowa in the MFA program.  I learned a lot and really got a handle about what my work is all about.  Not everyone liked it.  Some loved it.  It's been nine years since I graduated and I'm still making work - success!  I honestly think I was there at a really special time.  Quite a few of the students I worked alongside are doing great.  It inspires me and keeps me motivated.  I tend to go to their sites to see what they are up to and what's going on with their work. 

Look at the time!  Must get dressed and go to brunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment