Saturday, April 9, 2011

It's Not About Their Art, It's About Their Lives

Myvery rad friend Amy sent me a clipping from the New York Times Sunday Styles section.  On it, the photo of a very well-to-do couple posed in a colorful, yet minimal space. He is sitting on a ultra plush violet velvet couch.  She is standing near him in a crazy patterned colorful, floor-length dress with a hand on one hip that seemed a natural gesture for someone used to having their photograph taken.  On the wall behind them, one of his paintings.  It appears to be an older one.  Perhaps one of the earlier works that launched his career and his name into the cannons of art history.  The couple is John Currin and Rachel Feinstein.  Feinstein had an exhibition recently at Lever House and the article featured the couple in conjunction with the event.

As I read, I had very mixed feelings.  On the one hand, I can't help to feel my brown eyes become green.  I work very hard at my art career and struggle with the financial aspect.  How awesome it would be to not have money stand in the way.  A Currin work will cost you one million dollars.  I can't imagine what that must feel like!  In any case, he's a talented painter, so you can't hate on him for that.  I had to look up Feinstein's work because honestly, I didn't know she was an artist.  I though she was Currin's muse. I checked out what she had at Marianne Boesky Gallery.  Her work was good.  Not great.  So, why is it that her opening is packed with the New York art elite?  Was her installation that spectacular?  Is it the fame of Currin?  Is it because she's pretty?

The latter doesn't hurt.  As I read, it was apparent that Feinstein's work wasn't nearly as interesting as who she and Currin are and how they live.  The writer goes on to say they are the ruling power couple of the art world and the most potent marital pairing since Pollock and Krasner.  I'll expect an artist grant foundation in their name to emerge in the future.  Until then, I think it's pretty awesome that they are unapologetic about how they are living.  There is still the romantic idea that to be a true artist one must be drug-addled in some way, crazy in some way, socially retarded in some way and poor - well, at least act like you have no money.  That may have flown in the 50's and earlier, but that is not the case for artists working today.  Most artists that are successful treat their practice as a business.  Currin is a business man and is taking care of business.  If you are making money from your work, why should you not enjoy the rewards?   If I commanded high dollars for my work, I probably wouldn't be driving a 10-year old Focus or have a studio in a basement with very little light.  Oh, and the clothes.....(I have drifted into thoughts of some fantastic shopping)! 
I've seen artists in my own community behave in such manner.  As soon as they started to make big money, their cars got more expensive, their clothes got fancier....How could it not? 

To sum up, this article was entertaining and informative.  I'm not interested in their political stance although they make mention that they are known for being crazy right wing Republicans and correct this notion by saying they are actually more in the middle.  That's really not of interest to me. It's fun to read about artist's lives, but I would rather read about what's really important - the art that they create. 

No comments:

Post a Comment